A COLYTON family has been caught in a turmoil after a family bathroom renovation that quickly went from challenging to disastrous last week.
Wanting to breathe life into their home the Mead family hired a tradesman who could have been unlicensed and had possibly exposed them to what they believe is asbestos.
Home owner Geoff Mead is worried about the health of his family and hopes to find some answers soon.
"The NSW Poisons Centre doesn't give a reference number and tells you to evacuate because it is potentially serious," he said.
Mr Mead said the tradesman was advertised on a calendar provided by LJ Hooker and represented himself as working for the company on a contract basis.
Spokespeople for LJ Hooker said the company was doing all they could to resolve the problem and to ensure the safety of all parties involved.
Mr Mead said he and his family have continued to live in the potentially contaminated house since Wednesday last week.
They have tried their best not to leave their home, to avoid contaminating others.
"We have no financial ability to go anywhere else," Mr Mead said.
While it is assumed that all homes built before 1984 contain a certain amount of asbestos, analysis from an qualified professional is needed to determine whether or not the poison is present and whether it has contaminated the home.